Whether you write down your goals, or just know what you need to do each day, life has a way of interrupting sometimes.
The challenge is to stay focused and see the interruptions and setbacks for what they are – delays – and not as excuses for giving up.
It can be especially difficult when you see your goal ahead to be waylaid by life, but if everything were simple, everyone would be doing it all, right?
Maybe we can’t always move forward as fast as we want, but we can always be determined to reach the goal, no matter what.
- Keep in mind that the only way to fail is to quit. Honest. If you keep trying, you’re not failing.
- Life happens – interruptions and setbacks are part of life. Accept this as you do the fact that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
- View the setbacks as a detour – I see them as orange pylons put in front of me on a straight road – the detour could be short and sweet or long and meandering, but it’s still just a detour.
- Realize that your endpoint hasn’t moved, you have — adjust course to keep going.
- Stay focused on your goals and keep working. You’ll get there.
When life interrupts your plan to reach your goal, how do you react? Do you realize right away that it’s just a detour? Can you get yourself back on course right away?
Lisa J. Jackson is a New England-region journalist and a year-round chocolate and iced coffee lover. She does her best to take her own advice when she needs it. She writes fiction as Lisa Haselton, has an award-winning blog for book reviews and author interviews, and is on the staff of The Writer’s Chatroom. Connect with her on Facebook or see what she tweets about as @lisajjackson on Twitter.