Friday Fun is a group post from the writers of the NHWN blog. Each week, we’ll pose and answer a different, get-to-know-us question. We hope you’ll join in by providing your answer in the comments.
QUESTION: We recently asked you what questions you’d like answered in our Friday Fun post. Today, we’re answering the following reader question:
Jamie Wallace: You are wise, April, to be wary of anyone asking for “a large amount of money up front.” Unfortunately there are many charlatans out there who will happily separate a would-be author from her purse by making promises that they cannot keep. That said, there are some trustworthy resources out there who offer real insight and guidance about the different publishing options out there:
- While it is a self-publishing company, BookBaby has a strong blog presence that’s full of good information for writers who are considering the self-publishing option.
- Jane Friedman’s blog is one of my go-to resources for professional publishing advice. Click the “publishing” and “self-publishing” topics in the tag cloud that’s in the right-hand column of her blog.
- Joanna Penn also offers a lot of great advice and courses about self-publishing.
- Dan Blank over at We Grow Media is another excellent resource – inspirational and informational.
- Finally, you may want to subscribe to Writer Beware, a site that keeps writers one step ahead of those charlatans I mentioned earlier.
Though I don’t have any personal advice to offer, I hope that you will find some good tips and resources on these blogs. I have been reading each one for a year or more and can vouch for the quality of their content and their street cred. Good luck!
Lisa J. Jackson: Jamie is spot on with her recommended resources and I hope you can find something in there that works for you. Write Beware is an excellent resource for staying current with the tricksters in the writing and publishing world.
Have you tried any magazine markets for your work? There might be an avenue there to publication with payment.
Deborah Lee Luskin: Jamie and Lisa are both spot on. All I have to add is that it sounds as if you have a specific audience, one for which I believe there are several (many?) magazines and blogs where you might be able to place your work. You might start out with a guest blog and take it from there. (That’s how I ended up here!) But you also need to ask yourself what’s most important: reaching a larger audience? earning income? building a platform for a book? and take it from there. Good luck!
Diane MacKinnon: Hey aprilcoon, congratulations on completing your book! I think all the advice given above is excellent. The only thing I have to add is you might consider subscribing to Hope Clark’s weekly newsletter, Funds for Writers, which contains many resources for writers looking to publish their work. I have found it very helpful. Best wishes with your writing and publishing goals!