Friday Fun is a group post from the writers of the NHWN blog. Each week, we’ll pose and answer a different, get-to-know-us question. We hope you’ll join in by providing your answer in the comments.
QUESTION: Please answer the following questions, with as many or as few words as you like:
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite writing utensil?
- What’s your favorite kind of journal/writing paper?
- What’s your favorite writing magazine?
- What’s your favorite writing prompt?
- My favorite color is blue (See my picture?)
- My favorite writing utensil is a Faber-Castell PITT Artist Pen, Fine.
- My favorite kind of journal/writing paper is anything by clairefontaine.
- My favorite writing magazine is Writer’s Digest. I love grabbing an issue for a plane ride because there’s always some fun writing exercise I can do then and there.
- My favorite writing prompt is just to close my eyes, take a deep breath, and open my eyes. Whatever my eyes see first, I start writing about. This kind of freewriting is calming and I always end up somewhere interesting, even if I start by describing a lamp!
Deborah Lee Luskin:
- Today, my favorite color is purple.
- My favorite pen is whichever one is at hand.
- For the past few years, I’ve been using EcoEasy spiral-bound notebooks made from sugarcane, from Staples, but I’ll use the back of an envelope, if necessary.
- I read The New Yorker, both for style and content, and I pick up writing magazines here and again, but have no brand loyalty.
- I start my day with N.A.M.S.
Jamie Wallace: What fun! 🙂
- Favorite Color: Can’t pick. Changes depending on what I’m looking at. However, based on my Instagram feed, it looks like I favor blues, purples, and greens with the occasional dash of red or orange.
- Favorite Pen: No question on this one – my go-to pen is the uni-ball Vision Elite, usually in black, though I admit to having their full range of jewel-toned pens in my secret pen cache.
- Favorite Notebook: I’m with Deborah on this one. I love the eco-friendly sugarcane notebooks from Staples. They are a little pricey, but a) I feel more environmentally responsible using them, and b) I love the super hard covers – they make writing with the notebook in my lap very easy and comfortable. I use the standard 8.5 x 11 size for journaling, and also love the smaller 6.5 x 9.5 size for note taking and just carrying around with me.
- Favorite Writing Magazine: I used to get Poets & Writers and Writer’s Digest, but I’ve found that I rarely have time to actually read them. I have loads of back copies in my personal archives, but I haven’t resubscribed. I figure I can read them at my local library if I want to. Though I don’t regularly manage to read print magazines, I do read a TON of writing blogs. You can always catch my weekly list of favorite posts on the weekend editions: The Saturday Edition and Sunday Shareworthy.
- Favorite Writing Prompt: Time and quiet.
- What’s your favorite color? green
- What’s your favorite writing utensil? pen with purple ink
- What’s your favorite kind of journal/writing paper? composition notebook
- What’s your favorite writing magazine? don’t have one
- What’s your favorite writing prompt? I enjoy photo prompts the most.
What’s your favorite color? Mauvey and dusty pinks, please don’t ever confuse them with “Barbie Pink.”
What’s your favorite writing utensil? I prefer writing at my computer but if writing by hand I use EnerGel Metal 0.7 Tip pens.
What’s your favorite kind of journal/writing paper? Although I also like ClaireFontaine notebooks, sometime the sizes are awkward. As a rule, I can never go wrong with a Rhodia notebook.
What’s your favorite writing magazine? These days I’m really enjoying Writer’s Forum published in the UK. Because it’s an import I pay close to $10 an issue, but even so I’ve found it to be worth the price.
What’s your favorite writing prompt? Life. Pure and simple, life.