Yesterday, my daughter and I spent the afternoon wandering through an open-air Halloween market in Salem, MA. There are few places where All Hallows’ Eve is more revered and celebrated than in this city where the original witch trials took place. The place was bustling with tourists from all over the country, locals who were game enough to put up with the crowds, and vendors and craftspeople who were delighted that the gorgeous weather and spooky festivities had drawn such numbers.
While there were plenty of photo opps, I somehow managed to come home with only a few snapshots of costumed dogs. Yep, leave it to me. I’m in a city filled with historic sites, professionally costumed characters, and dozens of street performers, and the only pictures I take are of cute canines in ridiculous get ups.
Anyway … I thought they might inspire some story ideas (or, at least a smile), so here are a few of the shots from our doggy day. Enjoy, and happy almost-Halloween!
My Favorite Blog Reads for the Week:
- Pre-Writing by @elizabethscraig
- Why I Love Scrivener for iOS | Review by Alex Koolaev
- A Ten-Step Guide to Plotting a Practice Novel by @Janice_Hardy
- Writing Tips: How To Find And Capture Ideas For Your Novel by @thecreativepenn
PUBLISHING & MARKETING
- Don’t go viral by @DanBlank
- From One Novel To A Universe Of Books. Writing A Series That Sells w/ David Wood via @thecreativepenn
- Changing People’s Minds by @berndettejiwa
- On Authenticity by @danijshapiro
- What Kind of Writer Are You? by @SPressfield
- Here’s Why You Might Be Afraid to Live a More Creative Life by @Alltopstartups
- How to Live ON PURPOSE and Maximize Every Freaking Day by @BenjaminPHardy
THE WRITING LIFE
- How to Take Back Control of Your Time (and Fit More Writing In) by @aliventures
- Can Finally Doing Your Chores Help You Write More? by @angelegayehorn
- Do Authors Owe Us Their Whole Selves? by @jaelmchenry
- Forgive yourself by @DanBlank
··• )o( •··
Finally, a quote for the week:
Here’s to loving what you love, even if it seems silly … like dogs in costumes. 😉
Jamie Lee Wallace Hi. I’m Jamie. I am a content writer and branding consultant, columnist, sometime feature writer, prolific blogger, and aspiring fiction writer. I’m a mom, a student of equestrian arts, and a nature lover. I believe in small kindnesses, daily chocolate, and happy endings. Introduce yourself on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest. I don’t bite … usually.
This post originally appeared on the Live to Write – Write to Live blog.